The other day when I came back from a drinking session with Jon and Sara, I had a pretty unusual experience when I got home. As usual, I parked dad's car in the driveway, checked if I had secured everything and then went into the house. After I got in, I grabbed some food and I went upstairs to check my emails. By then, it was already very late, I was the only one awake and my parents were probably thousands of feet up in the air by then. Then, as I was about to get some work done, "Chunk! Chunk!" I heard a noise. It was rather loud and it came from downstairs. It sounded as if someone was trying to yank the door open. Bearing in mind that my parents were not in the country, and we were not expecting anyone at that time, hearing noises coming from down below, startled me. Two things came to my mind. First, it could have been either intruders or the second, it could have very well been a ghost. I discounted the latter. Immediately, I turned around and I went to do a little bit of investigating. But instead of going right down to see who it was, I peeked at the door from above. Call me a chicken, but a lot of thinking went into that decision because if I had gone down, the potential robbers would have seen me and they would have known what to prepare for. I took a peek and to my relief, I saw nothing unusual. That gave me a slight relief, but it still did not erase the fact that I had heard a noise.
After making sure that there was nothing there, reluctantly, I went back to work. Then, as I was happily typing away, I heard another noise. This time it was different. There was a bang followed by the sound of hurried footsteps coming from the ceiling. I stopped typing and immediately looked up. By now, I was completely baffled. What could have made that noise? Again, my mind went into overdrive. I was convinced that somehow, someway, a bunch of nasty people had broken into my house ready to steal whatever they saw fit. And to make matters worse, last year, Leong, my neighbour, told me of how his house had been burgled by a two thieves who entered through the roof. What if it was my turn to get robbed? Immediately, I started to look for help and for whatever reason, I messaged Jon. Then, after doing that, I messaged Ping Fuan. At first, Ping seemed to think that it was all some kind of a joke. But after some relentless persuasion, he realized just how serious I was about the whole affair and then proceeded to offer some solutions and one of them included looking for a weapon, a knife or a machete. Never did he mention the police and never did it cross my mind to call them.
Then, a couple of minutes later, I heard another loud sound. This time it was the door. It was as if someone was trying hard as they could to get that door open by somehow pulling at the knob. I was really scared by then. What should I do? It was already around 12 or 1 A.M. by then and I really wasn't in the mood for anything extraordinary. So this time, I stood up, and marched all the way down the staircase, pushed the curtain aside and took a good look from the window and to my absolute surprise, nothing was there. Absolutely nothing. How could this be? Especially after hearing those very obvious sounds, there was nothing there and as soon as that realization had come upon myself, I started to think of something a little more sinister.
My aunt had always said that she saw a old lady in red saree wander around my house and at times, she did feel a presence every now and then. So the thought of one of these things deciding to come out and play just when my parents were away and I was the only one awake definitely got on my nerves and it did make me a little scared. If it was a robber, I could somehow defend. But what do I do against a ghost?
Slowly, I made my way up and went about doing my work, trying not to think too much about it. I decided, if there was something there, a robber or a ghost, I might as well stay awake just to be safe. I for one wouldn't have wanted a good stabbing or a haunting while I was asleep. After some time, there were no more unusual sounds to be heard. Whatever had been making them had decided not to make them anymore. So at around 2 A.M, when I decided that all was safe, I went to bed. Thankfully, nothing untoward happened while I was asleep. So the question is, what was it that I had heard that night?
On a more lighter note, I went to Jon's church today to test out the K200D. Its a pretty good camera. Let's see where we end up in about a week from now.
Sunday, April 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment