Sunday, May 11, 2008

Iron Suit

So, today makes it twice in a row and thrice in a week. I know that its probably not the biggest of records but I watched Ironman twice and The Forbidden Kingdom once, all in the span of a week. Now when was the last time I did that sort of thing? But the good part is that, I wasn't really focusing on the story but in fact, I was focusing on the iron suit. After doing some thinking, I believe that it is in fact possible to build such a suit. Perhaps not a suit that enables supersonic flight like what we all saw in the movie but a suit which allows for subsonic flights. Perhaps at the range of about 300 miles per hour.

But even at that scale, there are a couple of problems which we need to solve. First of all, how do you power the suit? Obviously, fossil fuels would not be feasible due to the need to install large tanks which may act as an aerodynamic hindrance. Therefore we need to find a solution like what we saw in the movie. Something small yet powerful. Secondly, would the suit fly based on some sort of jet pack or will it be propeller powered. Both pose unique challenges because, if it is powered by a jet pack, what kind of materials do we need to make the suit out of in order to divert the heat away from the user? Propellers seem to be the more simpler solution for now but further thought has to be put into it before anyone can some up with a conclusion. What should the maximum altitude be? How would the suit be pressurized to accomodate high flying altitudes? Of course, there are many more problems left to solve but if we could solve the first problem, I believe that we are already more than halfway into the journey of creating the suit. But such a project will take lots of hours of hardwork and a whole lot of financial backing to complete and unless we have the money and expertise, we would have to rely on extrenal sources for money. And this of course presents a whole new set of problems which I would rather not discuss right now.

But eitherways, the possibility is there. All we have to do is find a way to do it.

No comments: