Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Err..

Ever noticed how sometimes you say something, and it comes back and bites you real hard in the backside? Well, I know I am about to get bitten real soon. I remember saying that I never really fancied going clubbing, or even thinking of going for a session because well, I didn't like it. I didn't see the point of splashing cash out to listen to DJ's play music I don't quite enjoy, nor to do dancing which I never quite got around into accomplishing and worst of all, if I could gain the collective pleasure that clubbers apparently gain, somewhere else, at half the sodding quid, I might as well take it. To sum it all up, I get the drinking, but I didn't understand the whole concept of going clubbing, getting heroically drunk and looking as if your mother just kicked you out of the bloody house for stealing her vases. But yesterday, despite it all, I went for it. And I learned.

Spring Break is one of the very few times of the year where something actually happens at Daytona. The rest of the year would be no more interesting that having dinner at bloody grandma's. Literally. Florida is where all the old people come to retire. Take a walk on the beach anytime other than Spring or Bike week, you're probably going to run into some bikini / swimming trunk wearing old person with their grand kids. But anyways, since it was Spring Break, and there were a couple of things happening down at Beach Street, a bunch of friends and I decided to go to one of clubs, and check it out. In the end, we ended up going into Coliseum. Apparently, there was going to be some sort of a Spring Break "must see event". So anyways, we paid the charge, got our sorry arses in there, and proceeded to collect out free beer from a bartender who was as good as being naked. And after going there, and spending some time experiencing everything, I finally understand just why Daytona got its reputation for being a wild place. If God were to come down to that place, he'd probably faint, write a whole new scripture and send down more angels and prophets to reeducate the people about the meaning of civilization. Seriously.

Or maybe, this could be civilization at its peak? Hey, who am I to say? I'm just a small town dude from a piece of land far away, you wouldn't even think that it existed. But hey, it was an experience. At least now I know what it is all about. Can't say I haven't been there no more. From now on, it is no longer a prejudiced judgment.

But that's not the main point. I now understand it. Loud and clear like the beats of the bass played by the DJ. I now understand the whole rubbing your "arse against another arse" as a dance. I now get it. My legs moved, I chanted with the crowd, I got silly with the crowd, I even got enthusiastic with them. At the end of the day, it really is about the drink. It really is about the sexuality. It really is about the insanity. But most importantly, it really is about the camaraderie and the ability to waste a day's worth of problems over a bottle and a beat. I do get it. But that's me, looking through the eyes of one who see's no dirt, who sees no baggage.

But for me, I should only look at this as something that I should do only for a few times. For the rest of my time, I'd prefer a bang for the quid. A bar, a pub, a roadside stall. Somewhere where I can actually do some talking.

No comments: