Saturday, September 27, 2008

Debate

What a debate!

I just watched the presidential debate over CNN a couple of minutes ago and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was 90 minutes of pure political enjoyment. I thought that the debate went really well and it was a very close one. However, I did feel that both candidates avoided answering certain questions directly, perhaps out of fear of jeopardizing their respective campaigns. For instance, both candidates pretty much went round the bush when they were asked what their positions were on the 700 billion dollar bailout that President Bush put forward to congress. And I must admit that right now, among the average Americans, it is a very unpopular decision. However, I am of the opinion that it is essential that the bailout be given a green light only if it done under the correct terms. Yes, I agree that 700 billion dollars is a a whole lot of money but if we don't pump it in now or in regulated stages, we're definitely going to be in a worse position, economically, in the future.

About the war in Iraq, I feel that it is important to continue funding to the troops with a mission to withdraw them when security, political and economical situations are stable enough. However, I also feel that less emphasis should be given in Iraq where as it is, conditions are becoming better. But instead, it would be wiser to put more emphasis on the war in Afghanistan where the Taliban are getting stronger and more brazen by the day.

I'm still undecided on tax positions. But I tend to lean towards Obama's idea of having tax breaks for the middle class while increasing tax towards the rich.

But apart from that, I think that the debate was an absolute cracker and I can't wait for the vice presidential debate coming up this Thursday between Palin and Biden. It should be an interesting one as well.

No comments: