Saturday, September 6, 2008

In The News

Back home, when I opened the newspapers or when I watched the news channels, I often found myself reading or watching reports about other communities or about things that are happening in other places. But these days, whenever I do the same, I often find myself looking through the pages or staring at the screen, listening to the newscaster speak about news that is referring to the community which I am currently in. This of course, is a completely new experience for me and no matter how nice it sounds, I have a problem with it. Most of the news that I have learned about are often bad ones.

If you have been reading the newspapers, you would have realized that two weeks ago, Florida was battered by Hurricane Fay. Not too long ago, Gustav slammed into Louisiana and caused a whole lot of damage there. Now, we have three hurricanes coming towards or skirting the Florida coast. Hanna, is beside us and she is probably one of the more deadlier ones. So far, she has already killed about 137 people and is now heading towards the Carolinas, which is just north of Florida. We at Daytona Beach were barraged by rain almost the entire day. I nearly skipped a class this morning and had no choice but to skip my evening class. But that hardly is an issue compared to what people at Haiti or the Bahamas or any country in that region for that matter had to deal with. They probably ended up with the worst part of the deal. Then, we have Ike. He's steaming right through the Atlantic as a Category 4 hurricane. A category 5 is the strongest. According to news reports, Ike is expected to make landfall on Tuesday and will cut a path right through Florida. Then, we have Josephine. I don't know much about Josephine, but I do know that she too might cause problems. I just hope that it won't be bad. But that really is the deal here during the Hurricane season. When you get hit, you get hit big time. And even if you don't get a direct hit, the weather generated by the storm could just bring you to a standstill. Businesses would be closed and so will schools. Back home, it wasn't as bad. The worst storm I'd ever experienced probably tore bits and pieces of the roof of my primary school, but that was it. Here, buildings get ravaged. And here at ERAU, we have proof of that.

But apart from the weather, everything is really starting to pick up here. Bit by bit life is getting a whole lot better and though the homework is piling up, I've never been more glad to accomplish them and get going onto other things. The thing that is really making me feel so much at home here is the amount of like minded people that I'm able to find. For once, talking about the military, history, aviation and things like that don't draw blank stares. I've met guys and girls who can just go on and on about it. And to wake up to the sound of aeroplanes is, the feeling is indescribable. May, if ever you read this, you're going to enjoy this place. And I don't mean that in a cliche but everything we do here, is like we've just been fed jet fuel instead of coffee for the mornings. The amount of clubs, activities... you'd just be amazed. Suddenly, I feel like I've rediscovered my passion. And that's just an awesome feeling that I can't describe with words.
And a big part of why I'm starting to feel a whole lot more positive is because of all the words and encouragements that I have gotten from all the people back home. Everyday, I make it a point to read and reread those words and suddenly, those words have found a new meaning. And to all the people who have listened and talked me through the transition, or just gave me something that I could grasp and to think about, I never could have asked for anything better. You're the best.

No comments: