5th of May, I finally said goodbye to my room which I have slept in for the past 9 or 10 months. I moved all my stuff over to my new room, Adams 426. That took me quite some time. I have a new roommate too. You know Kenneth? The one from the fishing trip? Yeah, he's my new roommate now. In fact, right now, he's unpacking all of his stuff.
I had a conversation with Isaac today. He's one of my Malaysian friends. He said that he learned more morals living in the USA than he had his whole life in Malaysia. In fact, he said living here has taught him to become a better person. I don't know if I can agree with him entirely, but, where Daytona and Phoenix are concerned, it is definitely true. Quite a surprise no? Before I left, almost everyone I knew told me to be aware or to be cautious of those whom were not Asians. They had a different and immoral culture, they used to tell me. They said stay away from them so I won't get corrupted. Stay away from the Hispanics, so I won't go into drugs. Stay away from Muslims, because I would then be targeted as a terrorist. Do not grow a beard, or else I would also be stigmatized as a terrorist. But now looking back, I ask myself, oh really? Answer is, no. My best friend here is a Hispanic. Some of my good friends come from the Middle East. I have many African American friends. They among the most funniest and friendliest people I know. And my American friends and lecturers, couldn't care less if I had a beard. In fact, they speak very intelligently about it, and condemn the stereotyping often done by the press, and certain quarters about Muslim and Asian people, especially those with beards. Jesus has a beard. Is HE a terrorist or a delinquent? No He is not. People here treat you with respect. When you need help, these guys really go out of heir way to help you. I hang out, and take classes with them, I know. Of course, their culture in general, provides for a different temperament, and a different set of guidelines and lifestyle, but then again, which society doesn't? Each society has their own codes of ethics which they think is right. Yes, everybody has views about certain topics like abortion and sex. Some agree, and some don't. But who are we to ostracize and prejudge just because we don't agree?
So really, who's right, and who's wrong?
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
yeah:P
Post a Comment