Staring at this screen, I realize that there are so many things that are running through my mind. I have so many things to say, so many people that I want to talk to, to look for and there are so many things that I want to do. But as usual, they don't come out quite like the way I would like it to.
I went to MPH today. I had been looking for a book titled "Winning is Not Enough" by Sir Jackie Stewart, a former 3 times F1 World Champion, an entrepreneur, and a champion of foundations that cater to people with learning disabilities. Since I was there and I had about an hour or so of free time, I decided to look for the book. After some searching, I managed to locate it under the True Profile/Account section. I felt victorious to be honest. Because this is a book that I had wanted to read for quite some time and I couldn't find it anywhere. So having the book in my hands itself definitely felt like a victory. Immediately, I picked it up and proceeded to the reader's corner where I sat down amidst a group of middle aged men and started reading. Upon reading the book, I was impressed by the way it was all layed out and by just how much the beginning few chapters of the book did not focus on Formula 1 but instead of the life of a man who was called an idiot and was humiliated in front of his class because he just couldn't read, spell or do math no matter how hard he tried.
Sir Jackie had a learning disability, which back in the day had still not been discovered. It was dyslexia. Dyslexia is a condition that disables a person from being able to read, write or even do simple math. And therefore often puts them at a disadvantage at school as well as mentally. Often, he, like many other dyslexics, were ridiculed and made fun of without a care about how they felt. And as a result dyslexics, or at least in the case of Sir Jackie, often felt inferior to others and had a massive confidence problem. At one point he even started to believe that he really was stupider than others and that belief went on for a good four decades, even throughout his glorious racing career, right up to the point before he himself was diagnosed as a dyslexic while accompanying his son, Mark, for a medical check up which was, ironically, recommended by his Mark's teachers who suspected that he had learning disabilities. It was at this point that Sir Jackie understood why he had never been able to do tasks that seemed trivial to others. He had dyslexia and it was at this point that his belief and confidence changed for the better.
With that knowledge in hand, he went on to champion causes that are dedicated to training educators into learning how to detect and properly deal with people with learning disabilities. An effort that has won huge accolades and has indeed paid off in dividends in his home country of Scotland.
Of course, I only managed to read halfway through the chapter before being summoned home. But what I've read so far truly is inspiring and in some ways being able to relate to Sir Jackie truly made me ponder about how I can turn a disadvantage into an advantage and not be afraid of the world simply because I imagine it to be intimidating and not because it really is. Finally, someone who understands. And someone who is where I've always wanted to be.
But on a lighter note, I've finally got my luggage today. I got a 32 inch monster which is supposed to take most of my belongings to Florida. But as it is, the bag is pretty heavy. I wonder how much it would weigh when I put another 30kg into it. And how am I ever going to haul it alone?
On another note, I had fun at MusicFest. I sang!!!!
Saturday, March 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment