A couple of weeks ago, two I think, my philosophy lecturer Mr Eddy Lee assigned us an assignment. What the assignment required us to do is to come up with a ten page book on our own philosophies. He explained that we could write about anything and everything under the sun, but just as long as every word of it, save for a few quotes which we may take from arbitrary sources, must be our own. Initially, I decided not to rush it as assignments like these usually required a whole lot of thinking and the examination of our views. So, what I did was,I decides to allow myself to spend some time to think about how I wish to arrange my words and points for this assignment. Two weeks on, and as the July 17Th deadline looms closer, I still haven't got a clue about what to write. Initially, I figured that I might want to write about life, religion, love, and other topics like that but giving second thoughts to those ideas certainly brings upon more questions. For example, even if I do choose to write about those topics, what should I write? What would be a good way to express as well as develop my points without making them sound mundane, cliche-ed or even repetitive? Its a total mystery to me. But then again, like in the adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, there's always unparalleled fun in solving mysteries. Don't you think so?
But there is one thing which has been bugging me for quite some time now. That is, how do we interpret what is being said to us without misinterpreting the actual message? Or how do we read between the lines when one has said or done things to us? In essence, what is sarcasm? How do we identify it? I do not speak about your everyday sarcasm, but what I speak of is sarcasm of a very deep level. I don't quite know how to put this into words, but I think you get my point. Afterall, we have all been through it at some point in our lives.
The second thought which has been bugging me is that how do we know that we are not being used as a stepping stone toward another person's desire at our own expense? How do we know whether or not someone is or isn't being true to us? When one congratulates the product and not the inventor, how should that be looked upon?
How do we know that by being kind or supportive of someone all the time, our actions are not being viewed as being kind and supportive just because we want something in return?
I ask too many questions and most of the time, I often make the answers up. Answeres which are not very accurate. I know that there are no definite answers to most of these questions. But yet, these are the questions that I most frequently ask when it comes to human relations, regardless of level or intimacy. If I keep asking questions, and don't come up with accurate or understandable answeres, how then am I to write anything about by philosophy?
Sunday, June 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment