Friday, June 22, 2007

The Smokey Trap

When I first came here, I was very much on my own. No one to hold on to while everything else had stilts or ropes for support. I was left to flail alone in the cold, dark, deep ocean while all the rescue boats had been sent to rescue those whom they deemed "worth it." But somehow, while all the sharks circled me, hoping to make me their next meal, I never felt like a marooned pirate, angry and forsaken. Instead, I felt like a piece of solid ice berg floating over the Caribbean waters. I felt mighty, but I knew that sooner or later, the heat of the Caribbean waters would slowly but surely melt me. Making me a part of its deep blue ocean. But I guess that this is quite common in the world that we live in. We arrive in a place to seek knowledge to better our lives. Before we make that journey, we prepare ourselves with lifelong principles, logical reasoning and steadfast advice to help us endure the challenges that we might face along the way.
During our initial stay at this place, we hold steady all that we have learned. But after some time, we start to to acquaint ourselves with a number of desirable as well as undesirable souls. While the desirable souls extend their arms to help us wade across the difficult waters, the undesirables hand us the anchor. Helping us to sink faster to the depths of the deep blue ocean. At first we reject this anchor, but after some subtle coercion, we reluctantly accept it. Afterall, how deep can we sink? At first, we reluctantly hang on to the anchor. But after some time, the anchor becomes our "reason for living."
Then when we wake up on one fine day, we realise that everything that we have held on to, all that we have been taught to reason against have started to crumble down before our very eyes. Just like the mighty iceberg which was finally melted by the heat of the Caribbean waters. We have become nothing more thatn the followers of a rotten society. A society hell bent on bringing as many people down with them as they can.
Today, I was offered a stick of death. And just like all the previous times, I have rejected it. My principles disallowed me from slipping into that path of disgrace. I am greatful for that. But unfortunately, not all of us were lucky enough. Some of my other friends, winners in their own rights, have fallen into this death trap. A smokey trap I fear would take them enourmous effort to get out of. I can only watch on in horror, as my words all but fall on deaf ears. Ears which I hope will someday start listening and analysing all that is important.

No comments: