Sunday, July 22, 2007

Both Extremes Of Fortune

The 22nd of July 2007, a day which on my side, witnessed me experiencing both the extremes ends in the switch of fortunes. In the morning, Nickie and I visited the US Education fair at which I was glad to be able to pick out another two potential universities for me to attend next fall. Namely, Purdue and Michigan Ann Arbor. Both ranked number 2 and 3 in the USA for Aerospace Engineering and with slightly competitive fees. On top of that, while visiting the Embry-Riddle booth to get some help with my application form, one of their staff, Kimberly Carly did me a very sweet favour in the form of not only waiving my application fee which is around USD 50, she also giving me a discount of 1000 USD per year off my potential college fee.

Then the evening proceeded well. But not well enough for me because I was uncharacteristically lazy. I did not reach my goals of completing certain things and this obviously leaves me with a very high and steep mountain to climb tomorrow.

Apart from that, I am really considering pulling out of the debate team. I know that this might already be close to the eleventh hour, but considering that I have more important priorities, and also a certain form of drawback, it would ultimately be wise to pull out of the championships which is this Saturday. But the problem is, if I were to quit, I would not only disappoint my lecturers, but also my team mates who are really counting on me to make an impression which I am dead sure I will never make. I want to do the right thing, but I also don't want to have to regret my decision in the future. There is only so much which I can accept, there is only so much which I can give. But the problem is, how do you become selfish and selfless at the same time without displeasing anyone?

Then at around about 7.45 PM, things started to go horribly wrong for me. Yes, the Nuerburgring race, despite it having the most dramatic starts in over 30 years of Formula 1, as some would call it, proved to be once again, as some would call it, the undoing of Kimi Raikkonen's 2007 title hopes. But I refuse to believe so and I will stick by him till the chequered flag is waved at the final race of the season.
First, Kimi started on pole. But halfway through the first lap, it started to rain, creating all sorts of mayhem. So, to solve this Kimi attempted to go to the pits for a change of wet weathered tyres. But unfortunately he missed the pit entrance due to to excessive speed, which forced him to go around the entire lap, once more on dry tyres. And then, as soon as he got out, the race was halted a few laps later due to excessive rai, which had already caused quite a few cars to literraly aquaplane of the absurdly slippery asphalt. This of course left Kimi in 7th place which was where he started from at the restart. All was well and fine with Kimi ending up in third place right behind Alons's Mclaren after a couple of laps. Then, at lap 36, disaster struck, right after crossing the start finish line, Kimi's car started to slow down and retired just before the pit entrance. The cause? Hydraulics faliure. At that point, I just couldn't believe what I was seeing. I was absolutely exasperated. But considering that I am little more than a spectator behind the television set, there really was absolutely nothing which I could do to remedy the situation. Heck, even the mechanics could only look on in disbelief. Though the points gap between Kimi and Lewis still remained at 18, but it is the significant increase in points which were collected by Alonso and Massa that now needs worrying about. Nine more races left, a maximum of ninety points remain. Who will win the world championship this time around? Only time will tell.

No comments: