It is of my opinion that all men and women have brains in order to perfect the quest of not only seeking knowledge and making the world a better place to live in, but to also fulfill their moral obligation of using their brains to develop themselves intellectually. But lately, in a country which I live in and also in a few places in and around the world, a certain bunch of people have indeed been using their brains to the contrary of the statement which I have just described. Though I do get irked by people who display such manner, I rarely make it a point to grumble and get very angry about it. But what happened today set me of like a volcano.
When I first signed up for the American Programme, I was full of hope that I would now be able to have lecturers who were at the very least intellectual and well presented. To be honest, I have had and still am having many great, excellent lecturers. But unfortunately, like all beautiful fruit baskets, there has to be that one bad apple. And that bad apple allowed for something that I will never approve to happen under the circumstances in which it sadly did.
Today, we were practicing for our impromptu presentation which will happen next week. So, what the lecturer did was to assign the class into four groups, make them sit on four opposing of the classroom and then have the members of that group decide a topic for the group sitting directly opposite them. After which the members in the opposing team would be given five minutesto prepare a five minute presentation. Sounds fair? To me it does, so far. But what happens when you find out that the topic assigned to you is something so ridiculous and at the very least quite personal to the female gender? A topic which even I am quite embarresed to write about. What happens when no matter how hard you protest, the person who is administrating this practice allows for such an issue to be presented? What happens when that administrator reprimands you for the inability to gather any thoughts at all on that given subject? Best of all, what would happen if that person goes on to say that it is okay for such a topic to be presented and that everybody should have perfect knowledge about it? What if that person were a woman for god's sake? How would you feel?
Well, that was what happened to me. I stood right in front of the class unable to even start the topic off. Not that I didn't know anything about it but, I just wasn't ready to speak about it. And therefore, I refused to talk about it. I just went up there, scanned the class and went back to my seat. Everybody wa staring at me. Of course, she reprimanded me for that, but the one thing which made me proud was that I stood my ground and said no when I had to. I for one, will never allow myself to sound stupid.
Thursday, July 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment