Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Human Existence

Over the years, I have been constantly bugged by the question of our existence. Why are we here? Where did we come from? Who or what put us here? Where do we go once we die? Now these questions may seem trivial for many people but to me these are questions that I believe no one can fully answer yet.

There are many theories which explain our existence but so far none 0offer solid, conclusive evidence about our existence. According to Charles Darwin, humans evolved into existence. According to his theory of evolution, humans evolved from apes. This process lasted over millions of years. According to religious views, we were created by a supreme being that put us here for a reason. Once we have completed that 'reason' we will be put to our death. Once we have been put to our death, our soul would then proceed to face the judge. The judge who will then decide, based on our actions on earth whether or not to send us into the eternal blessing of heaven or the eternal suffering of hell. Some religious view offer that if we have done good in our past life, we shall be born again with a much better life. If we have done many wrongs, we shall be reborn with an unfortunate life or even as a lower life form.

As for me, I have always been taught for years to believe that I was created by the supreme being and that every action I took or every decision I made would be recorded by this supreme being who eventually choose whether or not to send me to heaven or hell. But obviously, I do not hold those views anymore. The reason is because, after arguing and questioning this notion, I have come to realise that this belief is only an assumption. Because no one, not even the most religious of people can actually give me a solid answer to much of my questions. Every time I ask them how do you know if this supreme being sent us here? Their answer will simply be, it's written in the book. And when I ask them how do you verify that these books were not just another one of man's literature? Again, they would say, I don't know. I was always taught to believe that this is the truth and that is what I will continue to believe and so should you. After which, I will be asked to stop my questioning and go do my homework. Leaving me completely dissatisfied.

Then, as I slowly started to study science, I came across Charles Darwin's theory of evolution. A theory which many said explained human existence in full detail. But somehow, after studying it further, I realised that this theory too had its flaws. For example how do you explain the existence of the first cell which supposedly evolved into the many creatures which we see today? The evolutionists would go on by saying that this cell came to being because of the many chemical reactions which plagued the earth at the very beginning of its formation and that life was pumped into these cells through a comet which carried microbial life forms from a distant galaxy. But then, when I probed deeper, with questions such as how do you know whether this is true? They will continue by saying that based on their scientific experiments, this is the most probable theory. They do continue by saying that this is an unproved theory but it has the potential to be true when their experiments are complete. Once again, leaving me hopeful but dissatisfied.

So, I started to formulate my own theory or in this case, philosophy about the reason for us to exist. So, this is what I believe in. I think that we all evolved from a single cell which existed millions of years ago. The reason we evolved is because the ever changing conditions on earth required all life forms to alter or change our features to survive as well as to blend with the environment. The life forms which did not were eventually wiped out and driven to extinction. This is how we came to be on this earth. As for how the single cell which provided the medium for evolution to take place came into existence, I believed that something placed it there. But I have yet to determine what it is exactly that put it there. The reason I do not wish to say what put it there is because I really don't know what put it there or how to explain its existence. For example, if I said that Decepticon put it there, how am I to prove that decepticon put it there. Furthermore, how on earth do I prove that Decepticon existed. Even if I could, how do I answer someone when he or she asks me who or what then created this Decepticon character? How did he or she come to exist? Who or what was before them? I simply do not know the answers to these questions. That is why it is impossible for me to actually come up with a plausible philosophy about our existence on this planet. But all I know is humans exists through the evolution from a cell whose origins remains a mystery to me as much as it is a mystery to those who study human existence.

As for why we are here? I think that we are here by chance and that all that has happened or is about to happen has not been causally determined by any other being apart from ourselves. Our destiny, lies in our own hands. We make ourselves.

As for when we die, I believe that death is part of life itself. We die because our bodies are no longer able to support our wants and needs. When this happens, we will start to suffer. Humans naturally never seek to desire suffering. Therefore, to escape this suffering we are put to death and made to continue our journey in another world with a completely different body and a completely different environment. As for those who die before they're old, they will still be allowed to continue on this journey without any handicaps.

But then again, how do I know that this is true? My answer is I don't know. I can only speculate. Only when I die, will I know the truth or the falsity of this statement.

No comments: