Thursday, October 4, 2007

Alone

These days, I often feel as if I am almost alone in my quest to bring a shine to those whose eyes reflect the feeling of despair and hopelessnes. I am often met with resistance and ridicule when unfolding plans to create one more smile in a world where guns and bullets are the name of the game. This often brings me to question the ideals with which I was briught up with. I was always taught to assist the old, feed the poor, present myself with decorum and never to prejudge a person based on their circumstances of suffering or being. But while I agree to these lessons, the problem which I often question is the lack of practice by those who preach.

Earlier, while unfolding my plans to visit Cambodia along with a couple of friends of mine to do some volunteer work, I was met with some serious resistance by a person who has taught me to always help the unfortunate. That person ridiculed my intensions by explaining that I am about to visit a communist country. I am going into unchartered territory where I would get kidnapped, extorted, tortured, killed and have all kinds of disaster fall upon me. Furthermore, this person added insult by telling me to focus on my studies and let these orphans fend for themselves instead. Someone else, this person said will do it.

Upon hearing these words, I felt a deep sense of uneasiness blanket myself from head to toe. I was flabbergasted. How on earth could coments such as these ever even make its way out of a persons mouth? I couldn't believe that such unkind words has come from a person who was number one, religious and number two, always telling people to extend a helping hand to those in need. It imediately dawne upon me that all this time, I had been learning my lessons from a hypocrite who cared nothing more but to take care of their own stomachs while children out there beg just to be able to have a simple meal a day. To me this was unacceptable.

But, this is not an isolated case. It is happening everywhere. Even from the most humble of dwellings to the most posh of communities. People are just not willing to put their mouths where their money is. It is as if they would come down with leprosy if they did anything to practice what they preached.

I have made up my mind. Regardless of wether or not I am sent off to Cambodia with a garland of flowers or sent of to Cambodia with unkind words ringing in my ears, I will make this rite of passage. I have always wanted to do something like this and I am not about about to let a hypocrite stop me from making this journey.

No comments: