Monday, May 7, 2007

Public Speaking

Public speaking. A task that I am sure most of us would think about as a fate worse than death. Statistics show that at least 52% of us think so. Yes, and that 52% includes me. Therefore, to rid myself of this problem, I have taken it upon myself to enroll in public speaking classes for this semester. And as fate would have it, I made my very first impromptu speech about myself on the first day of lecture. I was to equate myself to a fruit or an animal or to anything that I wished to equate myself to. I was horrified. The only time I ever did a decent public speech was during history trials in which my persistent argument forced Ignatius into swearing. So, when my name was called by Ms. Kalai I slowly stood up and walked towards the front of the class. I cleared my throat and started with an ermm... But I can assure you that I wasn't nervous. I was simply fresh out of any ideas as to what to equate myself to. In the end, I equated myself to a stick insect due to my lack of flesh. Of course, when I mentioned my previous weight, the class laughed. But after that, my following sentences only managed to draw blank stares. That's when I decided to stop speaking and get back to my seat. And this whole process lasted for a mere 30 seconds or so. So, the next time I ever go up to speak, I shall remember to prepare at least a decent introduction. Pretty much like the way I arrange my words for my blog.
But honestly, I do hope to become a better speaker once this course is over.

No comments: