How do we know that we are all not living in a dream? How can we tell whether or not what we feel, or what we are going through right now is nothing more than a dream produced by our minds? If you say that you are dead certain that what we are living through right now is real and not a dream, how can you prove this? I would like to know. This was what we were asked by Mr Eddy during philosophy lessons yesterday. Obviously, none of us, no matter how hard we thought, could actually come up with a compelling answer for this question. Personally, I thought that this was an impossible question which required an almost impossible answer. Even if I knew that this was all real, how would I prove that we are all not dreaming a dream while we are dreaming? Any ideas?
He even asked us what really is life? How do you answer that question without getting a bunch of sob stories? Does god even exist? He asked us. One proud fanatic gave her version and managed to get her rear ends fired by Mr. Eddy. But allow me to stress that we can only speculate the answers to most of these questions. Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Argue as much or as hard as you will. But I can assure you that unless you can come up with compelling evidence, your argument will last until the day you die. A man in Thailand was killed by his own friend just because he refused to believe that the chicken came first. Ridiculous? Only if you don't isolate or ridicule others who do not share the same beliefs as you do.
Why are we here? Why are you even reading this? What makes you so sure that you weren't switched at birth? Believe that you don't have a twin? So you think you know who you really are and the reason that you are here? We all have our own versions of answers to these questions. With so much diversity, we can never be sure.
But perhaps this is the beauty of our existence. Don't you think so? We all have so many questions. Questions which answers may take decades, centuries or maybe millenniums to come. Questions which have indeed caused war and bloodshed amongst human beings. Questions which have scared people so much that they have chosen to resort to irrational ways or perhaps even irrational explanations to answer these questions. I guess ignorance from the truth really is bliss for these people. But I don't blame them. I really don't. Because I believe that the truth is not always what we all want to hear. They don't always sound as sweet as some lies do. Sometimes the truth, no matter how much it sets us free, may lay upon us the impossible or harsh reality. Lies, sometimes offer us more hope. Perhaps even save us from drowning into a deep,dark and unpredictable pool which we call life.
Wednesday, May 9, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
"Because I believe that the truth is not always what we all want to hear. They don't always sound as sweet as some lies do. Sometimes the truth, no matter how much it sets us free, may lay upon us the impossible or harsh reality. Lies, sometimes offer us more hope. Perhaps even save us from drowning into a deep,dark and unpredictable pool which we call life."
Deep, bro..Deep...
Thank you.. A product of twisted inspiration.
Post a Comment