Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The Blue Sky

A couple of hours ago, I went to collect a couple of my belongings from a friend of mine, Christina. Then, after I had collected it from her, the both of us walked to the gate. Then, suddenly I looked up and commented about the beauty of the stars. To be honest, its been quite a while since I saw a sky as starry as I did today. In fact, the last time I saw a star kissed sky was back when I was sailing on the River Nile. It was during that time too that I witnessed something quite extraordinary, which was a shooting star. Two actually. Anyhow, back to the present. We then stood at the porch, started starring at the stars and started speaking about it. While speaking about it, I started thinking about the stars themselves. I started realising that the beauty of the stars that lie thousands of light years away, the beauty of the stars which often inspire people, the beauty that often breeds love and sparks imagination are often clouded or erased by our polluted skies.
Personally, I'm a huge fan of the skies. I just seem to be fascinated by everything about it. Even the clouds which most people never seem to think twice about inspires me. I often stand outside my balcony with my camera, documenting the skies. And as always, I am captivated. Therefore, I am saddened by the fact that as the days go by, slowly but surely, these beauties will be ripped away from earth. One fine day, as long as the industrialists go on with their rigor, so long as the motorists continue to traverse the roads with their toxic vehicles, we will only be able to perceive the sky as a blanket of toxic smog. The beauty of the skies will only be described in the text books of history. I hope that this day will never arrive. I hope that the skies will continue to stay clear so that not only us, but our future generations will be able to marvel at its beauty. The beauty which has inspired so many. Including myself.

No comments: