Monday, August 27, 2007

Warm Shower

Ever gotten angry about something before? If you have, I am sure that you must have come upon advice in which someone advises you to take a long warm shower to cool your temper and to put some deep thought into your anger. I know that this piece of advice is rather cliche-ed, but much to my surprise, I found out that, like it or not, a long warm shower really works miracles too cool the anger off. Plus, it is an excellent avenue for someone to take a long hard look at what the anger was all about without having anyone disturb you. Forgive my language but, this is of course said under the assumption that you have no one else taking a bath with you.
Returning to the point. Just yesterday, I was extremely enraged at something which I, before taking that long warm shower could just not stop thinking about. And much to my regret, instead of venting my anger in a more respectable manner, I took it out on quite a number of people who were with me on that day. People who had done no wrong to me and who had their best intentions for me on that day. And it goes without saying that I did manage to hurt some peoples feelings very badly and I am completely saddened by this fact.
So, after I got back from spending almost my entire day being enraged, I did what seemed routine to me, which was to take a bath. A very long bath which is of course not a very surprising fact to most of you given that by my own admission that I have this very peculiar fixation for water, especially warm water running out of a shower head.
Then, while taking this shower, I immediately cooled down. The warm water somehow seemed to cool me down. It was completely unexplainable. My anger just went away. It was replaced instead, by more calm, philosophical thoughts and feelings. I started realising how stupid I was getting angry in the first place. Yes, I realised that I had seen so many things from all the wrong angles and my anger had clouded my mind from thinking rationally and because of that tempers flared and feelings got hurt. And, I just had this strong feeling of regret, of remorse and I just started thinking of all the people which I had hurt the other day. But apart from cooling me down, this hot shower taught me many things as well. It taught me never to let anger and frustration become your master because in the end, it is the angry who will lose out. Because while every body is busy being happy, you are just too consumed by your anger that you fail to realize all that is happening around you and you just fail to see things from a more clearer vantage point.
So, next time you get all heated up over something, you might just want to try immersing yourself in a long warm shower. You just never know what surprises lay before you and just what you may learn from it.

No comments: