Over the course of the past few days I have been having very good conversations with a few people. All of them extremely thought provoking, some of them describing just how much prejudice has become an integral part of our culture, some of them about how the true meaning of education is slowly but steadily diminishing, some about extremely whacky things which we did in our past, some were about how views are open to interpretation and some of them were downright funny.
I dare not speak for the vast majority but a good conversation is something which I would always look forward to and cherish. In fact, some conversations which I have encountered are so refreshing that I tend o remember them and on a couple of occasions smile to them. Sometimes, if the conversation is conducted over the web, I tend to save that conversation in hopes of viewing them again whenever I felt like it. This week alone, I saved three.
It is my sincere belief that the value or rather the goodwill of conversations in this modern world is somewhat diminishing. When I say the word good conversation, what I mean is a conversation which is first and foremost based on the properties intellect, entertainment, lacking in prejudice, lacking in fallacy, witty and last but not least, worded with precision.
The reason why I say that good conversations are becoming a thing of a past is because nowadays a majority of the people seek to engage in mind building conversations. The reasons could simply be the infamous 'I don't care attitude" or the "Dude, that's way too much for my brain to handle right now" or "I've got no time for you" or maybe in some cases, people just don't want to speak their hearts out just because they fear that by sounding different, they risk being the social outcast or things like that.
In some cases I understand their reasons for doing so as one sociologist even suggested that the problems of such nature faced by our society is indeed compatible to the current timeline at which we are living in. The reason is simply due to the severe need to multitask. Something which people of the past never heard of. They explain that as time progresses, we will start knowing each other less and less personally. Take for example in the old days everyone knew of everyone in their community. They constantly made contact by having conversations right from who married who or to whatever it is that was of great importance to the community or to the country. They had so much to share. Unfortunately, nowadays this is no longer the case anymore. Most of us barely even know our immediate neighbours, let alone their names. So what this often leads to is number one, a breakdown in communication, constant misunderstanding and a lack of care for thy neighbour. And this is why, even amongst our friends, we don't enjoy a good conversation. Which leads to us not knowing our friends in a significant way. Ask yourselves, how well do you know your friend? Would you be even close to knowing a good 50% of him or her. I know I don't. Forget the friend tests, those are not an accurate measure of how much you know a person because most of the questions there are trivial and is largely known to a wide bunch and whose information can be accessed easily or even without qualms from the person. What about the information which are barred? Do you think you know every single but of it? If you do, I take my hats of to you. You're a person who should be made as an example.
But like I pointed out earlier, ther reason this is true is because of the lack of intelligent conversations between people. It is sad, but indeed a very appaling reality which in my opinion should be changed. We have seen our identification towards people shrink from a personal tone to an impersonal tone, and I am pretty sure that we wouldn't want to start knowing people based on their instant messaging names and that alone.
Friday, August 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment