When it comes to passion, I believe in going all the way. No matter how difficult or odd the circumstances may seem. And just today, we were all given a good reminder that of we work hard enough and with a little bit of luck, we will get what we are looking for.
This morning I stayed up until 3 am in the morning to watch the Canadian GP. And at 1a.m., I wasn't too impressed with the television reception. Since the Astro is in my parents room, I couldn't watch the race in their room since they were sleeping. So I had no choice but to use the television downstairs which wasn't connected to any cable services. And the worse part was, it hadn't been configurated well enough to watch any programs on. So I had no choice but to watch it on an extremely blur television which made it seem as if there were 40 cars on track, instead of the actual 20 and it was very difficult to even read the words. So I guess you get the picture.
But anyways, it was a wise decision to watch the race because not only was the race a very dramatic one in which Hamilton made a school boy error by trying to exit the pit lane under the red lights and in the end smashing into the back of the law abiding Kimi Raikkonen and ruining both their races in the process. And mind you, Kimi was in a great position to win the race and reclaim his lead in the Drivers Championship.
But anyhow, apart from that small drama, something else happened during the race. Something historical. It was a day of firsts. It was the first time in Formula 1 history that a Polish won a Grand Prix. It was also the first win and first one-two finish for the relatively young BMW Sauber team. Congratulations to them. A well deserved victory I am sure in the eyes of many. They have been working very. very hard for this. And to make things even sweeter, race winner Robert Kubica now leads the World Drivers standings. Also another first for BMW Sauber and believe it or not it has been 11 years since anyone from a team other than Mclaren, Ferrari or Renault has lead the standings. Congratulations to that as well. And to a bigger congratulations to Nick Heidfeld for an inspired drive to make it a one-two for BMW Sauber.
Now that BMW has won their first race I think that we can all start to expect even greater things from this humble team. First of all, they are under the sound leadership of Dr. Mario Theissen a man with great qualities and foresight. And apart from that they have an excellent technical team under the guidance of Willy Rampf. A man who has been around since the golden ages of Formula 1.
And though I do realize that Kimi didn't score any points, just like in Monaco, I can definitely be glad that this is going to be one heck of a season and I am not going to predict who will win the World Title. As it is, Formula 1 is the most watched sport around the globe. Beating out other popular sports like soccer and tennis. I have figures to prove this. Go on like this and we just might be drinking motor oil for breakfast.
*The post Schumacher era does indeed seem so much better*
Monday, June 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment