I know that the five red lights are still hours away. Its on Sunday 11.00 am in fact. BUt I can already feel my heart beating really fast. I was just surfing through itv-f1.com and all the news there was like heaven. All the hype, the colours, the cars, the pit babes, the practice times. Damn, I feel like I have landed on the moon. I know, not every one shares my profound passion for Formula 1. They keep saying that its just a bunch of cars going around in circles week in week out. But obviously they are ignorant about the fact that teams collectively spend billions of dollars a year just to gain a few tenths of a second. Wind Tunnels and Formula 1 factories run for 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Now what other sport has that? What other sport has a history so rich that hundreds of books have been written? Where so many boys and girls have been turned into fine young men and women?
Governments around the world spend billions of dollars just to have Grand Prix circuit in their backyard. Every company wants a peice of their name on a Formula 1 car. Not to mention the publicity, the management, the glory. Did you know that if an average person were to drive a lap in a Formula 1 car, he would most probably have his or her neck snapped by the intense G- Forces. Look at Lewis Hamilton, who graduated from GP2, F1's feeder series last season. Though a professional racer, he had to go through an intense back breaking fitness regime just to get into shape for this season.
In essence, Formula 1 is indeed a game of high speed chess. Only this time, the pawns are the racers themselves. The kings and queens, the team managers.
And therefore, everyone involved in it, in my opinion, should be given due respect for their part in this high speed spectacle of man, machine and Balls.
Friday, March 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment