Friday, March 30, 2007

My Perfect Journey

A few minutes ago, I was indulging myself in a National Geographic Magazine. I was reading about the the mass deforestation and the destruction of the Amazon Forest by unscrupulous developers and soy planters. I then went on to read a little bit about a man's nearly fatal adventure at the north pole. As a matter of fact, I'm reading it while typing out this post. What amazed me most about the magazine was the level of professionalism displayed by the journalists who write in them and also the level of photography involved. I always believed that language and art showed the true level of civilization by a certain community. That is particularly why I do not have much reverence towards Malaysians or towards any community within this respect who have butchered languages ,used them in vain, proclaimed that art are for losers and have committed unprecedented horrors upon the development of mankind. But returning to the magazine.

While reading the magazine, I could not help but be amazed by what I read and what I saw. I also started to feel jealous. I felt a great deal of envy towards the photographers who held their cameras and shot the pictures that I saw. I envied the journalists who were able to write in this magazine. What I envied the most were the people who got to embark on amazing adventures during their quest to acquire material for the magazine. All of these made me ask myself a few questions. What is it that I really want in life? How do I wish to see myself twenty years from now? Am I really doing what satisfies me, or what satisfies my mind?

Right now, I am a student who is in the process of majoring with a bachelors degree in Aerospace Engineering. I had a passion for aeroplanes since I was a young lad. It all started when my father used to take me to the restaurants that lined the side of Subang Airport's runway. He would take me to the fence, and we would watch Aeroplanes take off and land. The sight of it really awed me. We used to go there regularly. Even if we did not go there to eat, I would drag my dad and beg him, at night, to take me there just so I could go and watch aeroplanes. And he would. Another place which we would go to was the Cargo Terminal. I remember seeing a huge Boeing 747 parked on the tarmac.The sight of it just rooted me to the ground. I would just stand and look at it with so much excitement. That passion still remains as strong as ever. But somehow, I never felt satisfied enough studying math and physics. I needed something more.

All along, I always considered myself to be different. Different in a sense that, I fail to find amusement in what others around me find amusing. I rarely find myself engaged in conversations in which people around me usually do with ease. I somehow never seemed to share the hopes and dreams of others. Where everybody else was in a mad pursuit to wear white collars, I was dreaming of soaking myself in mud. I love dreaming of doing things that seemed out of the ordinary. I love embarking on outrageous if not amazing adventures. I love standing right smack in the middle of danger, hanging by a rope that may snap at anytime. Call me crazy or unrealistic, but this is just who I am. I couldn't care less about anything else or what anybody has to say. I just love the adrenaline rush and that feeling of boyish excitement that comes along with it. I just love doing something that is completely wild an out of the ordinary. Thats why I figured that when the dust finally settles, I want to be a journalist, a photographer, an explorer, an adventurer, a traveller, a wealthy psychopath an adrenaline junkie, and so many other things. I just want to experience anything and everything. Too bad, where I stay, It is almost impossible to find someone who shares this dream.

Life is something that should never be wasted on attempting to please all those around you. It should instead be spent on doing the the things that satisfies you the most. Let it be anything. But just make sure that you are happy doing it. For you live for yourself, not for the world.

No comments: