It has dawned upon me that the place where I live may no longer be as safe as it was in the years of past. When I was young, I used to wake up to the smell of fresh air, to the sounds of chirping birds. The ground, still moist from the morning dew. The tree's were of abundance. I remember how much I used to rush out of bed, just to go and play outside. I remember using slingshots to try and shoot birds. But, fortunately, my limited skill did not allow me to hit any birds.
Neighbours back then, were friendly and very forgiving. I remember the elders used to always talk to each other on the streets or even over the fence. We would normally play a game of badminton in the evening. Some of us kids used to go biking. I used to refer to them as Mrs. Wong or Mrs. Tan. I still do though. We were pretty close back then.
When I was young, my neighbourhood was probably one of the safest places to be. There was no crime. Neighbours used to watch over each others home everytime others were not in, or if they had gone for a holiday. We, kids could go outside and play without having to worry about being kidnapped or anything of that nature. I used to enjoy it back then.
But now, all that is nothing more then a memories. The place whee I live has indeed become the breeding ground for criminals and pollution. Just last night, two cars had their wheels and rims taken away from them. If it were luxury cars, I would surely understand. But the cars that lost their wheels were a Proteon and a Perodua. I wonder just how much those theives intend to make when they sell them? Would they even have a buyer? A few days ago, my neighbour had her car's window smashed, right in front of my house by a bunch of unscrupulus theives who then demanded for money. How stupid is that? Not long ago, Yee Leong's house got broken into by two men. They stole a laptop. Chatichai got robbed twice in a passageway which I use everyday to walk to college. Of course there are many more stories. But I'm afraid that the limited space and time does not allow me to tell anymore.
Sometimes I wonder why do people steal, when they have their own hands and feet to make a decent living? Is getting rich through the misery of others lawful? Or even right? Haven't they learnt that what goes around comes around? I hope that someday someone would teach them a lesson.
Wednesday, March 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment